25 April 2021

The Integration Course - My Actual Journey

A month after getting married in Germany, I applied for a residence permit and was given a Bestätigung über die Verflichtung zur Teilnahme am Integrationskurs. This meant that I am obliged to take an integration course. 

Deciding to register 


Once you receive your Bestätigung, you are supposed to enrol as soon as possible, but it was not until 8 months later, on the first week of March 2020, that I finally decided to register in an integration course. 

I hesitated to enrol earlier because I thought, that based on my learning style, self-studying will be better. My husband bought me all the books I requested. I was certainly not in lack of learning materials (and awesome support) at home. The problem is, I am not disciplined enough to study regularly. In the end, I decided that it is better to enrol in a course so I have a structure to follow. 

We live in the Hunsrück area and the nearest Volkhochschule (VHS) that offers an integration course within 15km(!) radius is at least 1,5 hour bus-ride away in the middle of nowhere. At certain times of the day, the bus also just comes once every hour. When compared with the travelling time to other course providers outside our area, there is really no big difference. So, upon discussing with my husband, I chose to register at a course provider in the same town where he also works. The place is two train-ride away from home but an advantage is that the mode of transportation is more frequent. Also, my husband can fetch me on his way home from work and I saved money and time one-way.

The registration process


The first step was to inquire from my chosen course provider, 
VHS-Bingen. We made a phone call and found out that a personal appearance is required for registration. We were also instructed to bring the following documents:

    • my residence permit
    • valid Philippine passport
    • Bestätigung über die Verflichtung zur Teilnahme am Integrationskurs

During the registration, I was asked a few details, such as what my mother language is, the total number of years I attended school and if I have visited a Deutschkurs before. The lady who attended to us took the original copy of my Bestätigung. She made a colored photocopy of the document to give back to me. I was then given an Anmeldebestätigung as proof of registration. It stated the Termin for my Einstufungstest. We did not have to pay at the time of registration.

Two days later, the first corona lockdown was imposed in Germany. I received notice that the Einstufungstest was cancelled until further notice.

It was not until two months later that the Einstufungstest happened. The exam was a multiple-choice type with 70 items and a time limit of 30minutes. The questions were extensive, ranging from A1 - B1 level. After the exam, I was told to wait for the result. The proctor checked it right infront of me. A short time later she informed me that, based on my result, I will start at module 6. It means that I only needed 100 lesson-hours for the language course. I tried to tell her that I did not visit any German language course before and I am not yet confident with my German. I passed the A1 level exam by self-studying. I asked if it would be better if I at least start at module 4. She said that based on my result, I already have a good grasp of the language and starting from a lower module will just bore me. She added though that because of the pandemic, she cannot tell when the course will begin. I just have to wait.

In September 2020, I finally received a Deutschkursanmeldung detailing the start of the course in November of the same year.
The notice also included the health protocols we need to follow in view of the pandemic. We have to wear masks all the time. We paid the course cost of  €195



A view of the river Nahe on the day I took my Einstufungstest.



The language course


On the first day of the course, I went to the wrong venue! I went to the secretariat building, where I took my assessment test, instead of the training venue. Integration lesson No. 1, how to ask for directions and read the Google map (in German) which an admin kindly printed out for me. 

I arrived a few minutes late to our class. Luckily the teacher was not there to notice my tardiness. When the teacher entered the room, I introduced myself and was asked if I already have a course book. I had to pay €13 for a set (course book and activity book). The book I paid for was for Module 5 and not 6.

My classmates came from different parts of the world: Pakistan, Turkey, Morocco, Ukraine, Romania, Eritrea, Dominican Republic, Kazakhstan and Mongolia. They came to Germany under various circumstances. Most of them barely speak English and we were all forced to communicate in German. I was the only Filipina in a class of 13 people. I learned that one student supposed to also be in our class got corona infection 3 days before I joined the class. He was not able to attend the course anymore. It created a big scare for everyone when the school was informed of it but with the advice of the Gesundheitsamt, the class was allowed to continue. Health protocols are strictly followed.

Three of my classmates were ''repeaters''; they already finished the integration course but did not reach the B1 level in the language test. They were entitled to repeat module 6 and re-take the language exam for free. 

My schedule was Monday to Friday, 12.45PM - 3.45PM. The course lasted from 09.11.2020 until 11.12.2020 for a total of 100 lesson-hours. The exam was scheduled right after the end of the course, 12.12.2020. We needed to sign a daily attendance sheet. 

It was surprising that, even on the first day, the teacher asked my classmates to recite answers to an assignment from an obviously previous lesson. It turned out that they are a blocked class, continuing from A1 - B1, which started in November of 2019. I was the new girl in town, everyone else knows each other. I guess the class was the earliest suitable course that I can be placed in. The VHS is obligated to give me a slot within the 6-month period counting from the date of assessment. 

On the first week, I admittedly started to doubt my decision of visiting the course. The cold and wet November weather also did not add motivation. I am not saying that the course was super-easy. It was simply boring. Everything discussed can be found in our course book, including the answers. I could have also just stayed home and study on my own. After getting thru the first 2 weeks, I recognized the advantage of attending a class. It certainly established routine and discipline for me. I was ''forced'' to open my books daily. It also helped a lot that I was sort of pressured to talk exclusively in German all the time.

Two weeks before the end of the language course, we stopped using our course book. Instead, we did daily test simulation exercises --- learning wise, this is the biggest plus in attending an integration course. During these two weeks, the teacher gave valuable tips which helped me pass the language exam. Tips that I probably won't be able to learn just as easily on my own. It was also at this point that we were asked to ''pair'' ourselves with a speaking partner and practice for the mündlische Prüfung





Same spot, on the day I finally started my Integration Course.
The scene already turned into Autumn colors.



The language exam (Deutsch-Test für Zuwanderer)


Our language exam was held on a Saturday, the day after the end of the language course. We received a formal invitation for the exam 5 days before. The language exam is free for me. There was one classmate though who was surprised when she did not receive any notice. Upon verification, it turned out that her host family (she was an Au-pair) did not pay for the exam. Because of this, she cannot take the exam and if she wants to, she needed to wait for another two months. It seems there are different rules that apply for her case. Unfortunately for me, she was also my practice partner for Sprechen. So for the final exam, I was paired with another girl --- someone nobody wants to be paired with! Waaa.

I entered the morning venue 20 minutes early and there were also other examinees there apart from the people in my class. There was a list of examinees posted on a wall, with the corresponding schedule for the mündlische Prüfung which was set in a separate venue in the afternoon. The Hören, Lesen and Schreiben part lasted 2 hours and were all done in the morning.

For the first 3 parts of the exam, the venue was a big hall with enough space to keep the distance rules. Before the exam started, a few rules were given by one of the proctors (there were at least 3 of them):

    • All phones must be turned off and put inside a brown envelope labelled with our name, the said envelope was then gathered in a basket and put on top of a table away from the examinees.
    • Once the exam has started, no one is allowed to go out, not even to visit the washroom. We were all given time to go before the exam commenced.
    • Absolutely no talking or making any kind of noise that can cause disturbance.
    • We were allowed only these on our table: pencils, eraser and sharpener.

We were warned that violation of these rules may result in immediate disqualification to take the exam. We were also given time to check, and correct when necessary, the information in the cover page of our answer sheets. I used up the full alloted time of 2 hours and took my time to polish off my Schreiben.

Based on the posted schedule, I knew ahead that there was a gap of 2 hours until my turn for the mündlische Prüfung. After having lunch, I had time to mingle, as much as distance rules allowed, with my classmates and exchange opinions and feelings about our performance for the morning exam.

The mündlische Prüfung lasted less than the scheduled 20 minutes. It was held in a room within the secretariat buidling adjacent to the morning venue. We were told to wait at a designated hall and around 15 minutes before our turn, we moved to an isolation sort-of room to wait for the examiners to call us in to the actual exam room. 

I was a little bit nervous, which was prolonged as we did not have our turn as scheduled. They had to open and air the exam room each time a pair of examinees was done before they let in a new pair. This took time and delayed the schedule for almost an hour. When it was our turn, I did not finish my diligently prepared introduction for Teil 1. The examiner asked me follow up questions after just 4 or 5 sentences. I felt that it was hurried, but on the other hand, it was also to our advantage. It lessened our ''chance'' to make mistakes. There were two proctors, a man and a woman. The man asked the questions and the other observed and wrote her evaluation on a sheet of paper. They tried to make us comfortable with some small-talk before we started. 


The result: Zertifikat Deutsch-Test für Zuwanderer


I asked one of the proctors how long to expect before we receive the exam results and she said within 5 - 6 weeks. But I already started to anxiously check the mailbox after one week. My agony was not prolonged though, I received the Zertifikat Deutsch-Test für Zuwanderer on 06.01.2021, just 3 weeks after I took the exam. I passed with flying colors. Big thanks to my husband who served as my drill sergeant at home. He was always there to correct my assignments and gave me great tips especially for the Schreiben part where I got a perfect score. 


The orientation course


The orientation course started immediately after the language exam. There was scant information about how to go on with it, so I asked my husband to send an enquiry to the secretariat regarding the registration and payment. It turned out that since I was enrolled in an integration course, I am also automatically registered. The cost was another €195. 

I had the same schedule as the language course, Monday to Friday, 12.45PM - 3.45PM. One classmate was added. He is from Indonesia. A few other people from the language course did not continue with the orientation course. All in all, there were just 9 students.

On the first day of the course, there was uncertainty in the air, a second hard lockdown was looming. The next day, the teacher informed us that we need to continue via online class, VHS-Bingen will close following the nationwide lockdown rules. The session was spent setting up Zoom accounts where we were set to conduct our online class. We were also given a printed copy of the 300 Fragenkatalog for the Leben in Deutschland exam and the corresponding answer key.

The online class was held the same time as the scheduled daily face-to-face class. The teacher had to make screenshots of us as proof of attendance. We used the book, 100 Stunden Deutschland and I must say it was more interesting than the language course. Not only because this time, there are no grammar rules to think of but the topics discussed have always been interesting for me. We were able to finish the book and there was also a daily review of the Fragenkatalog. The teacher also showed us movies related to the course which made the class less boring. 
  

Leben in Deutschland (LID) exam


The LID exam was postponed until the lockdown was lifted. It was held on 11.03.2021. We have a WhatsApp group chat and we were informed by our teacher of the new schedule. A formal invitation was also sent by the school.

The Leben in Deutschland exam is an easy multiple-choice exam. All 33 questions were derived from the 300 Fragenkatalog. 

I managed to answer all 33 questions in less than 10 minutes but I took my time to review everything again, twice. We were given an hour to finish it.


The LID result, Zertifikat Integrationskurs, and a little confusion...


I was informed that results were already out when one of my classmates sent me a WhatsApp to ask if I received mine. It seems other people in our batch already received their Leben in Deutschland ergebnis just two weeks after the exam.

My husband sent an E-Mail to VHS for more information. They replied the same day and informed him of my results but they said that the certificate will come directly from Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge (BAMF). I got 33 out of 33, a perfect score! They also added that students who did not attend the class regularly may get their certificates late. That was a bit confusing for us, but thinking there was just some misunderstanding, we waited.

The VHS sent another E-Mail a few days later, stating that I am not eligible for a Zetifikat because I didn't attend the course ''regularly'' adding that if there will be future issues with our ABH during the application for German citizenship, ''just contact us again.'' We replied to the course provider stating that, first, it was not me who decided how many hours I attend the course; I was placed by the school based on my assessment. Second, and most importantly, I have a perfect attendance for the total 200 hours that I was enrolled in. On the same day my husband sent the E-Mail, I received my certificates per Post; the Leben in Deutschland ergebnis and the Zertifikat IntegrationskursSo, honestly, we don't know what happened there. But I am finally done and have officially fulfilled my obligation! Yay!


The refund process


The certificates also came with an application form for the refund of 50% of my contribution to the integration cost (50% of 390 Euro). 

I am eligible for a refund since I passed the language and orientation course within two years of the date on my Bestätigung über die Verflichtung zur Teilnahme am Integrationskurs. 

The form was pre-filled up with my personal information; I only needed to provide the bank details where the refund can be transferred and affix my signature. I sent the application form along with a photocopy of my Zertifikat Integrationskurs to the responsible regional office of BAMF per Post. The full amount of 195 Euro was refunded to me via bank transfer just a few days later. It was a hassle-free and quick process.


Learning materials


I finished my integration course despite the pandemic and I hope that this will also inspire others to continue and persevere in their own journey. If an actual class is still not possible, use your time to study ahead on your own.

Here are some of the learning materials I used. I included books, online sources (websites and YouTube channels).

Books

Schritte international Neu: I have a complete set of this one, from A1 - B1 (6 books all in all). I also did self-study for my A1 Exam and I used these books from the very beginning partnered with Schritte Ubüngsgrammatik.

Mit Erfolg zum Deutsch-Test für Zuwanderer: This is highly recommended as a very good source for self-study. This is even the same book my teachers used in the actual integration course.

I also have this one, although this is not for DTZ, it also has a lot of valuable sample exercises.

Websites/Online Source

Deutsche Welle (DW). Check out Nico's Weg and this one is my favorite, Harry - gefangen in der Zeit. 

Goethe Institut. BTW, Goethe also has this fun App, although it is more for A1. Give it a go. It is actually a fun way to learn (or relearn A1).

CosmoLearning (this is also by German with Jenny)


This is the link to the Leben in Deutschland Fragenkatalog.

Bonus Tip: In most Filipino groups in Facebook, the members usually give valuable and up to date tips. Use the search function in the group's page and type key words such as ''Integration Course'' or ''B1'' and you will be able to see all the posts relating to these topics.

There are of course much, much more free and available sources online. Pinoy tayo! We are enterprising. We have diskarte. Research, google. Read.


Last thoughts...


One thing I observed, most of my classmates seem to lose their interest once the language course is over. They barely attended the daily class, or will just come for the obligatory screen-shot attendance and turn-off their cam and mic soon afterwards. Even the teachers noted the lack of discipline for attendance. I don't know if these particular people did pass the exam. Maybe for them it's just easy-peasy. There are no grammar rules, no conjugation of verbs and gender conjugation to master. You can memorize the answers to the 300 LID Fragenkatalog without understanding or absorbing the context and pass the exam.

For me, the orientation course is the most interesting part of the whole integration course. Germany has been called das Land der Dichter und DenkerThe German culture is part of World HeritageLong before I met my husband, I was already fascinated with the works of Rainer Maria Rilke and Hermann Hesse. Letters to a Young Poet is one of my favorite books. German movies such as Metropolis and M by Fritz Lang were also already my top favorites films. I believe that the key to understanding the language, is also understanding the culture. The orientation course has certainly whet my appetite to learn more about my new home. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Niederlassungserlaubnis (German Permanent Residence Permit) Application Process for Filipina Spouse

DISCLAIMER: this article is only based on my own experience and does not, in any way, serve as legal advice to anyone who is planning to app...